CFAMC National Conference 2018
Malone University, November 1-3, 2018
Call for Scores and Call for Papers
The Christian Fellowship of Art Music Composers and the Malone University Department of Music announce a call for scores and call for papers for the 2018 CFAMC National Conference to be held on the campus of Malone University (Canton, Ohio) November 1-3, 2018.
We are excited to announce that the following ensembles will be participating:
- The Malone Chorale (60-voice SATB)
- The Malone Chamber Choir (24 voice SATB)
- The Glen Oak High School Concert Choir and/or Chorale (SATB)
- The Ohio Northern University Symphony (2122 – 4321 – tmp+4 – hp – str)
Why a high school chorus?
We have been quite intentional about including high school musicians in this year’s conference so that CFAMC composers can have opportunity to give (musical insight, mentoring) as well as to receive (performance, feedback, and encouragement). We believe this can be a unique opportunity for these student musicians to meet, work with, and ask question of living composers in a single weekend. Glen Oak High School has long had an outstanding choral program, and Brian Kieffer, the director, is the Canton Symphony’s Music Educator of the Year. He is very enthusiastic about his students getting to work with some of you. Travis Jürgens, conductor of the Ohio Northern University Symphony, is likewise quite enthusiastic about participating in this year’s conference and looks forward to the opportunity for himself and his student musicians to work with you and perform your music.
I. CALL FOR SCORES (Deadline July 1, 2018)
Composers who are members in good standing of CFAMC are invited to submit up to two scores for consideration in the categories listed below. Selected composers will be expected to provide properly engraved, proof-read, computer-generated scores and parts, and to attend the conference.
We invite works in the following categories:
- Works for SATB Chorus, both university and high school level. May include piano, organ, and/or possibly an obbligato instrument or two (subject to availability).
- Works for orchestra. (Anticipated instrumentation listed above).
- Works for orchestra & chorus.
- Works for solo or duo voice.
- Works for solo piano or organ.
- Works for which the composer will provide his/her own performers.
Submission form at this link. You will be asked to provide links to PDFs and mp3s.
II. CALL FOR PAPERS (Deadline July 1, 2018)
Proposals for paper, panel discussions, or other presentations are welcome. Submit your ideas/proposals at the same link as above.
Information about area hotels will be forthcoming. We are already working with a nearby Comfort Inn (Broadmoor Circle NW) for conference pricing. Those of you who were here in 2015 will remember that Canton has what I call a “hotel village,” a cluster of national chains side-by-side 4 miles from campus, making carpooling to and from campus quite easy. The address for all of these hotels is Broadmoor Circle NW, Canton. In addition, there is a new Hilton Place on Whipple Avenue that is a stone’s throw of the other aforementioned hotels.
The closest airport is Akron-Canton (CAK), 4 miles from the hotels and 8 miles from campus. You might also want to consider flying into Cleveland (CLE) and renting a car there. CLE is about 50 miles away. (Personally, I recommend flying into CAK to avoid the Cleveland traffic, the longer TSA lines at CLE, and the hour drive. But for those of you near major hubs, you might find direct flights to CLE.)
The Malone campus is just off of I-77. In these days of Google Maps, smart phones, and GPS units, I will dispense with driving directions, but feel free to contact me if you have questions.
The Department of Music is housed in the Johnson Center for Worship and the Arts, 2600 Cleveland Ave NW. Registration and most events will be in this building. Our building faces Cleveland Avenue with entrance driveways on both the north and south side of the building. The Johnson Center is between a large US Post Office and the Canton Christian Home, just south of the exit ramp off US 62 onto Cleveland Ave. We have ample, free parking right behind our building. No parking permits are needed.
We look forward to reviewing your submissions and to once again have you on our campus.
May the Lord’s blessing be on each one of you and may His presence move in our conference for His Glory,
Past National Conferences
- 2017 Oct. 5 – 7: Fresno Pacific University
- 2016 Oct. 6 – 8: Mississippi College and Belhaven University (Reviews)
- 2015 Oct. 8 – 10: Malone University
- 2014 Oct. 9 – 11: Biola University
- 2013 Oct. 25 – 26: Houghton College
- 2012 Mar. 1 – 2: Mississippi College
- 2010 Oct. 15 – 16: Indiana Wesleyan University
- 2008 Oct. 10 – 11: Indiana Wesleyan University
- 2006 Sep. 29 – Oct. 1: Northwestern College
- 2004 Sep. 17 – 19: Duke University
- 2002 Feb. 22 – 23: Butler University
- 2000 Jun. 21 – 25: Georgia Institute Technology
- 1999 Sep. 24 – 25: Warner Pacific College
- 1998 Jul 10 – 11: Houghton College
- 1997 Sep. 19 – 20: Bowling Green State University
- 1996 Sep. 27 – 28: Houghton College
- 1995 Sep. 29 – 30: Houghton College