CFAMC National Conference 2017
The Christian Fellowship of Art Music Composers (CFAMC) will hold its national conference on October 5-7, 2017 at Fresno Pacific University in Fresno, California. Proposals are solicited in four categories:
(1) Works intended for traditional concert performance
(2) Recorded works (complete, partial or in progress) that could be shared and discussed during a Peer Feedback Session;
(3) Films with original music in DVD format;
(4) Panel Discussion Topics.
Composers are encouraged to submit entries in multiple categories.
(1) Composers interested in having a work performed in concert should submit up to three (3) scores for any of the ensembles below. However, the combined total duration of all works submitted should not exceed 12 minutes.
a. Concert Choir (SATB)
b. Men’s Chorus (TTBB)
c. Women’s Choir (SSAA)
d. Chamber Strings
e. Symphonic Band
f. Saxophone Quartet
g. Brass Ensemble (8 parts or less)
h. Percussion Ensemble
i. Handbell Choir (AGEHR Level 3 or easier, please. Christmas-themed works encouraged)
j. Woodwind quintet
k. The Emerald Duo (faculty violin/violoncello duo)
l. Other chamber works for any combination of instrument(s), voice(s) or pre-recorded electronics (CD/DAT), particularly if the composer could provide performers.
Sacred works are encouraged.
(2) Composers may also submit recordings of works that they would be interested in discussing and receiving feedback on during a Peer Feedback Session. If desired, a list of suggested discussion questions may also be submitted.
(3) Film composers may submit up to three (3) film works in DVD format. Film content should reflect a Christian worldview in keeping with the nature of the conference, the CFAMC and the host institution, but may be thought provoking and creative in its methods.
(4) Composers may submit a list of up to five (5) topics relevant to Christian composers that they would be interested in discussing as a participant in a Panel Discussion Session.
Submission by e-mail checklist:
A. Scores in PDF format only for each submission.
B. A separate recording for each submission labeled clearly with the title and composer’s name, either as an e-mail attachment or a weblink.
C. A brief biography.
D. Program notes for each work in a separate attachment with the title of the work and composer’s name clearly labeled.
E. A cover e-mail including a list of the items submitted, durations for each item, the composer’s contact information (email is preferred), and an indication of what performers the composer can supply if needed.
Submission by mail checklist:
A. Printed scores for each submission.
B. A separate CD recording for each submission (if available) labeled clearly with the title and composer’s name.
C. A brief biography
D. Program notes for each work on a separate sheet of paper with the title of the work and composer’s name clearly labeled.
E. A cover letter including a list of the items submitted, durations for each item, the composer’s contact information (email is preferred), and an indication of what performers the composer can supply if needed.
Applicants must be members in good standing of the Christian Fellowship of Art Music Composers at the time of submission. Information on how to join or renew membership in the CFAMC may be found on the members page. Each participant selected will have her or his registration fee waived. Since a primary purpose of CFAMC events is to foster Christian fellowship among its members, pre-registration and full attendance at the conference is required for all composers selected. Costs for transportation, housing and meals are the responsibility of each participant. Any costs related to rental or purchase of published pieces must also be borne by the composer.
The postmark deadline for submissions is May 15, 2017 or until all conference slots are filled. Please send materials to: Dr. Walter Saul, Department of Music Fresno Pacific University, 1717 S. Chestnut Avenue, Fresno, California, 93702. For further information, please contact Walter Saul at or at 559-453-2012.
Past National Conferences
- 2016 Oct. 6 – 8: Mississippi College and Belhaven University (Reviews)
- 2015 Oct. 8 – 10: Malone University
- 2014 Oct. 9 – 11: Biola University
- 2013 Oct. 25 – 26: Houghton College
- 2012 Mar. 1 – 2: Mississippi College
- 2010 Oct. 15 – 16: Indiana Wesleyan University
- 2008 Oct. 10 – 11: Indiana Wesleyan University
- 2006 Sep. 29 – Oct. 1: Northwestern College
- 2004 Sep. 17 – 19: Duke University
- 2002 Feb. 22 – 23: Butler University
- 2000 Jun. 21 – 25: Georgia Institute Technology
- 1999 Sep. 24 – 25: Warner Pacific College
- 1998 Jul 10 – 11: Houghton College
- 1997 Sep. 19 – 20: Bowling Green State University
- 1996 Sep. 27 – 28: Houghton College
- 1995 Sep. 29 – 30: Houghton College