2023 Conference Call for Scores and Papers
The Christian Fellowship of Art Music Composers is announcing a Call for Scores and Papers to be performed and presented at the Annual Conference to be held June 22-24, 2023 at Meetinghouse Church in Edina, MN.
Composers may submit up to two (2) total compositions and/or paper proposals in any category. Composers must be current members of the Christian Fellowship of Art Music Composers. If you are not currently a member, you may join here. Selected composers are required to attend the entirety of the conference. The registration fee for the entire conference is $100 ($50 for students) Our conferences are a wonderful opportunity for fellowship and encouragement, even for those whose work is not selected. We encourage any interested composers to attend.
Submissions are due February 15, 2023.
Guidelines for score submissions:
- A score in PDF and an MP3 (either a recording or a MIDI realization) must be included for each piece submitted.
- There is no time limit, though shorter pieces may have a better chance of being chosen
- Compositions will be selected based on several factors including, but not limited to, availability of performers (chamber) and performability by the large ensembles.
- Selections will be made by April 15, 2023. Notifications will be sent via email.
- Selected composers must submit parts in PDF and register for the conference by May 1, 2023
- CFAMC will facilitate an online Masterclass with renowned Scottish composer James MacMillan (only students may submit.) If you would like to participate in the masterclass, please indicate this interest in your submission. All conference attendees are welcome to attend the masterclass. Questions can be directed to
- Composers may submit to one or more of the following categories (up to 2 total submissions.)
- Lake String Quartet – Reading Session
- Orchestra – Dakota Valley Symphony (2,2,2,2,2-4,2-3,3,1-timp +2, strings – no harp.)
- Chorus, SATB, a cappella or with piano accompaniment; moderate divisi acceptable. Any additional instrumentalists must be provided and paid for by the composer.
- Chamber Ensemble, up to 4 performers (available instrumentation listed below.)
- Composer-provided performers
Available Chamber Ensemble Instrumentation: (including subsets of the following). Please contact Barbara Holm at to inquire about additional instruments/voices. You may enter a piece for an instrument not listed, and if selected in the initial round we will do our best to find a performer. If you are notified that your piece has been selected a performer has been found.
- trombone quartet
- brass quartet (2 trumpets, two trombones)
- cello plus up to string quartet
- collaborative pianist
- flute, violin, cello trio
Guidelines for Paper Proposals:
- Papers should, in some way, address the conference theme – Incarnation, Imagination, Illumination. While papers addressing our conference theme will be given priority, applicants are encouraged to submit abstracts for papers addressing any facet of the intersection of faith and musical arts, including papers exploring music theory, musicology, and theology of music.
- Please provide a 400-600 word abstract outlining the scope and purpose of your topic, and its relevance to this conference.
- Papers must fit into a 20 minute presentation spot (including pertinent audio/visual material), and 8-10 minutes for Q&A will be allowed immediately following each presentation.
- Submissions will be reviewed by a committee of composers and academics. Selections will be made by March 1st, 2023.
Some hotel suggestions for the June 2023 Conference
There are quite a few hotels in the area, but here are some within a 10 minute drive of the church where the conference will be held, fairly reasonably priced and include breakfast:
- La Quinta Bloomington West 5151 American Blvd. W
- Best Western Bloomington/ Edina 4201 American Blvd W
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel 7770 Johnson Ave S
There are many other hotels near I-494 and hwy 100 which is close to the church. Even hotels near Mall of America are less than a 15 minute drive to the church. I have tried to suggest the most reasonable ones, which is a bit challenging since every time I visit the website it seems the price has changed. The church address is 3200 Colonial Way, Edina, MN
Past National Conferences
- 2022 March 25-26: Fresno Pacific University
- 2021 Oct. 23: Virtual International Conference
- 2020 Oct 17: Virtual International Conference Review Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, Part 6, Part 7, Part 8, Part 9, Part 10, Part 11, Part 12, Part 13
- 2019 Oct. 17-19: Mississippi College and Belhaven University
Greeting from CFAMC founder Mark Hijleh, Reflections, Photo, Review Part 1, Review Part 2, Review Part 3, Review Part 4, Review Part 5, Review Part 6, Review Part 7, Review Part 8, Review Part 9
- 2018 Nov. 1 – 3: Malone University
- 2017 Oct. 5 – 7: Fresno Pacific University
- 2016 Oct. 6 – 8: Mississippi College and Belhaven University (Reviews)
- 2015 Oct. 8 – 10: Malone University
- 2014 Oct. 9 – 11: Biola University
- 2013 Oct. 25 – 26: Houghton College
- 2012 Mar. 1 – 2: Mississippi College
- 2010 Oct. 15 – 16: Indiana Wesleyan University
- 2008 Oct. 10 – 11: Indiana Wesleyan University
- 2006 Sep. 29 – Oct. 1: Northwestern College
- 2004 Sep. 17 – 19: Duke University
- 2002 Feb. 22 – 23: Butler University
- 2000 Jun. 21 – 25: Georgia Institute Technology
- 1999 Sep. 24 – 25: Warner Pacific College
- 1998 Jul 10 – 11: Houghton College
- 1997 Sep. 19 – 20: Bowling Green State University
- 1996 Sep. 27 – 28: Houghton College
- 1995 Sep. 29 – 30: Houghton College