CALL FOR SCORES FOR THE 2022 NATIONAL CONFERENCE
The Christian Fellowship of Art Music Composers (CFAMC) will hold its national conference on March 25-26, 2022, at Fresno Pacific University in Fresno, California. Proposals are solicited in seven categories with separate deadlines for each:
(1) Works intended for traditional concert performance
(2) Original hymns or hymns with original tunes and settings
(3) Recorded works (complete, partial or in progress) that could be shared and discussed during a Peer Feedback Session
(4) Films with original music in DVD or YouTube format
(5) Proposal for Papers
(6) Panel Discussion Topics
(7) Masterclass for Student Composers and recent graduates
Composers are encouraged to submit entries in multiple categories.
(2) Composers interested in having a work performed in concert should submit up to three (3) scores for any of the ensembles below. However, the combined total duration of all works submitted should not exceed 12 minutes.
a. Concert Choir (SATB). The Fresno Pacific University Concert Choir and its director will include four works by Christian Fellowship of Art Music Composers members in its 2021-2022 repertoire, which means that these works will receive multiple performances over the entire season. These works will be for:
i. SATB a cappella
ii. SATB with piano or organ accompaniment
Please do not submit any composition longer than 4 minutes for the Concert Choir. DEADLINE IS SEPTEMBER 15, 2021, FOR SUBMISSIONS
b. Woodwind quintet (flute, oboe, clarinet, horn, bassoon) or any subset of that ensemble (from solos through quartets). Please do not submit any composition longer than 7 minutes for this ensemble. Deadline is November 15, 2021, for submissions
c. Solo piano works. Please do not submit any composition longer than 7 minutes for piano. Deadline is November 15, 2021, for submissions
d. Works where composers supply their own performers/tracks. Deadline is November 15, 2021, for submissions
Sacred works are encouraged.
(3) Composers may submit one or two hymns for our corporate time of worship. They may be in traditional SATB format or in CCM (Contemporary Christian Music) format. All CCM entries must have at least a complete lead sheet with notated melody and pop chords, although fully notated entries with a piano accompaniment are encouraged. Deadline is November 15, 2021, for submissions
(4) Composers may also submit recordings of works that they would be interested in discussing and receiving feedback on during a Peer Feedback Session. If desired, a list of suggested discussion questions may also be submitted. Deadline is November 15, 2021, for submissions
(5) Film composers may submit up to two (2) film works in video format. Film content should reflect a Christian worldview in keeping with the nature of the conference, the CFAMC and the host institution, but may be thought-provoking and creative in its methods. Deadline is November 15, 2021, for submissions
(6) Composers may submit a proposal or an abstract for one paper. Deadline is November 15, 2021, for submissions
(7) Composers may submit a list of up to three (3) topics relevant to Christian composers that they would be interested in discussing as a participant in a Panel Discussion Session. Deadline is November 15, 2021, for submissions
(8) CFAMC offers student composers (composers who are currently studying composition privately or in a college/university setting or who graduated within the past 12 months from college or university) an opportunity to participate in a masterclass with the renowned composer Frank La Rocca, professor emeritus of California State University, East Bay, and extensively published by Boosey and Hawkes. Dr. La Rocca will work with selected students and recordings of their work. Students and recent graduates are invited to submit one or two examples of their works. Three or four students will be chosen for this opportunity. If selected, students must attend the conference. The masterclass will be open to all conference registrants to attend. Deadline is November 15, 2021, for submissions
Submission by e-mail checklist:
F. Scores in PDF format only for each submission.
G. Scores may be submitted in full or excerpted from larger works to meet the duration requirements.
H. A separate recording for each submission labeled clearly with the title and composer’s name, either as an e-mail attachment or a weblink. Recordings should be in MP3 or M4A format and may be either a live performance or MIDI.
I. A brief biography.
J. Program notes for each work in a separate attachment with the title of the work and composer’s name clearly labeled.
K. A cover e-mail with a subject line of CFAMC 2022 National Conference Submission that includes a list of the items submitted, durations for each item, the composer’s contact information (email is preferred), and an indication of what performers the composer can supply if needed.
Please do not submit by mail.
Although there is no fee to submit a piece, we require submitters to be members in good standing of the Christian Fellowship of Art Music Composers. A list of current members and information about how to join or renew membership in the CFAMC may be found at http://www.cfamc.org. If this presents a financial burden, please contact our treasurer Barbara Holm at to make alternative arrangements for your membership.
Since a primary purpose of CFAMC events is to foster Christian fellowship among its members, pre-registration and full attendance at the conference is required for all composers selected.
In submitting any work for performance in this conference, each composer attests that the work and its performance are the property of the composer. CFAMC will not be responsible for any fees or costs incurred in the preparation of the score or any production of any recording or video.
Please send materials to: Dr. Walter Saul at . For further information, please contact Walter Saul at that email address or at 559-367-5806.
All submitters for the Conference will be notified via email no later than January 15, 2022.
Conference registration fee: $45
- You can mail a check, make check out to “The Christian Fellowship of Art Music Composers”, and mail to Barbara Holm, Treasurer – CFAMC, 9600 Portland Ave S, Apt 111, Bloomington, MN 55420. Be sure to include your name and e-mail. Indicate that this is for conference registration.
- If you have a PayPal account, you can use that to pay.
- You can pay with credit card, you can use a credit or debit card (through PayPal) to pay.
Past National Conferences
- 2021 Oct. 23: Virtual Internal Conference
- 2020 Oct 17: Virtual Internal Conference Review Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, Part 6, Part 7, Part 8, Part 9, Part 10, Part 11, Part 12, Part 13
- 2019 Oct. 17-19: Mississippi College and Belhaven University
Greeting from CFAMC founder Mark Hijleh, Reflections, Photo, Review Part 1, Review Part 2, Review Part 3, Review Part 4, Review Part 5, Review Part 6, Review Part 7, Review Part 8, Review Part 9
- 2018 Nov. 1 – 3: Malone University
- 2017 Oct. 5 – 7: Fresno Pacific University
- 2016 Oct. 6 – 8: Mississippi College and Belhaven University (Reviews)
- 2015 Oct. 8 – 10: Malone University
- 2014 Oct. 9 – 11: Biola University
- 2013 Oct. 25 – 26: Houghton College
- 2012 Mar. 1 – 2: Mississippi College
- 2010 Oct. 15 – 16: Indiana Wesleyan University
- 2008 Oct. 10 – 11: Indiana Wesleyan University
- 2006 Sep. 29 – Oct. 1: Northwestern College
- 2004 Sep. 17 – 19: Duke University
- 2002 Feb. 22 – 23: Butler University
- 2000 Jun. 21 – 25: Georgia Institute Technology
- 1999 Sep. 24 – 25: Warner Pacific College
- 1998 Jul 10 – 11: Houghton College
- 1997 Sep. 19 – 20: Bowling Green State University
- 1996 Sep. 27 – 28: Houghton College
- 1995 Sep. 29 – 30: Houghton College