CFAMC National Conference 2019
Call For Scores
The Christian Fellowship of Art Music Composers (CFAMC) is pleased to announce its 25th
National Conference, which will take place on October 17-19, 2019, at Belhaven University in
Jackson, Mississippi and Mississippi College in Clinton, Mississippi. This is the principal annual
opportunity for Fellowship members to establish and deepen relationships with one another, so
we strongly encourage you to attend whether or not you submit materials for possible inclusion
in the conference. Furthermore, we will be celebrating CFAMC’s 25th anniversary.
Proposals for concert works and meeting activities are solicited in six categories:
1. Chamber works for ensembles selected from traditional orchestral instruments and all
voice parts (particular emphasis on piano, organ, saxophone, voice and solo or chamber
2. Works for SATB choir (may be accompanied by piano), concert band or string orchestra
3. Performances of works for which you bring your own performers
4. Recorded works (complete, partial or in progress; 10 minute segments) to be presented
and discussed during a peer feedback session
5. Paper presentations on topics concerned with fostering fellowship and witness in the
context of new music
6. Panel discussion topics
Works and other materials will be selected on the basis of practical concerns as well as the
above categories. Composers are encouraged to submit entries in multiple categories, but no
more than 3 compositions and 3 papers/topics per person. Some concert and session time will
be focused specifically on student works and concerns, so proposals by student composers are
Postmark deadline for all submissions is July 31, 2019. All materials should be sent to
Benjamin Williams at the address below.
For composition submissions, please send:
1. Scores (parts, if appropriate, will be required for accepted submissions)
3. A brief biography (150 words or less)
4. Program notes (250 words or less)
5. Contact information
For paper presentations or panel discussion, please send:
1. A proposal for the topic or presentation (250 words or less)
2. A brief biography (as above)
3. Contact information
If you wish to have materials returned, please provide a self-addressed, stamped envelope.
Electronic submissions are encouraged; please send files in .pdf and .mp3 formats. Any costs
related to rental or purchase of published scores are to be covered by the composer. If you
have any questions about submissions, please direct them to Ben.
Applicants must be members in good standing of CFAMC at the time of submission. A list of
current members and information about how to join or renew membership may be found on the
website, cfamc.org. Since a primary purpose of CFAMC events is to foster Christian fellowship
among its members, attendance at the conference is required for all selected composers.
Air travelers will want to fly to Jackson-Evers International Airport (JAN). On-site registration will
begin on Thursday afternoon. The conference will commence on Thursday evening and
conclude on Saturday evening. More information about registration, accommodations and the
conference schedule will be published in July.
We look forward to seeing you at the conference. Should you have questions or concerns,
please get in touch with Ben or Andy.
October 17-19, 2019
The Jackson-Medgar Wiley Evers International Airport (JAN) is only 20 miles from Mississippi College and 10 miles from Belhaven University.
We are recommending staying in Clinton, MS (home of MC) for the duration of the conference. There is not a designated ‘conference hotel’, but there are 9 hotels within a mile from the school. MC recommends the Hampton Inn & Suites to parents, but all are nice facilities. (While the distance is not far, I would not recommended walking from the hotels to the college. Carpooling should be simple given the close proximity of the hotels.)
The first performance, featuring piano music of Walter Saul, will take place on Thursday evening at 7:30 pm at Mississippi College in Clinton after a time of gathering. All events on Friday will be at Mississippi College. All events on Saturday will be at Belhaven University in Jackson. Events will end Saturday afternoon, but there will be a coordinated get-together Saturday evening for anyone staying in town until Sunday.
Past National Conferences
- 2018 Nov. 1 – 3: Malone University
- 2017 Oct. 5 – 7: Fresno Pacific University
- 2016 Oct. 6 – 8: Mississippi College and Belhaven University (Reviews)
- 2015 Oct. 8 – 10: Malone University
- 2014 Oct. 9 – 11: Biola University
- 2013 Oct. 25 – 26: Houghton College
- 2012 Mar. 1 – 2: Mississippi College
- 2010 Oct. 15 – 16: Indiana Wesleyan University
- 2008 Oct. 10 – 11: Indiana Wesleyan University
- 2006 Sep. 29 – Oct. 1: Northwestern College
- 2004 Sep. 17 – 19: Duke University
- 2002 Feb. 22 – 23: Butler University
- 2000 Jun. 21 – 25: Georgia Institute Technology
- 1999 Sep. 24 – 25: Warner Pacific College
- 1998 Jul 10 – 11: Houghton College
- 1997 Sep. 19 – 20: Bowling Green State University
- 1996 Sep. 27 – 28: Houghton College
- 1995 Sep. 29 – 30: Houghton College